*As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. The price to you remains the same.
Plastic can be found in homes everywhere! In the bathroom, in the bedroom and yes even in the kitchen. We are going to take a look at some plastic free food storage options that will not only be more environmentally friendly – but also healthier for your family.
As mom, I find plastic containers – the re-usable kind – are a hard item to go without. A lot of my child-free friends have converted to glass, but between its heavier weight and the risk of breaking when handled by little hands, transitioning away from plastic has not been easy!
While the low risk of breaking and the lightweight are important pros, plastic does come with cons – and lots of! First, there is the ‘toxic’ issue – especially when these containers are used for heating meals up – something I now avoid. Secondly and most importantly, it’s the issue of plastic pollution!
When I saw the EPA statistics that shows 26.8 million pounds of plastic were sent to landfills – I knew I needed to make this change!
Effects Of Plastic On Health
Many are not aware that there can be health related issues that can stem from the use of plastics for storing and reheating food so I wanted to make sure I talked about this. First it is important to note that there are a variety of different plastics out there but the ones we are concerned with contain phthalates and BPAs.
These items can essentially “leach” into your food from the containers and if you are reheating foods in these plastic containers – that makes the issue a bit worse.
These chemicals have been shown to interfere with human hormones which with long term contamination can have effects like diabetes, obesity and more. While these are not common – it is not a risk worth taking in my opinion.
But there are plastics that are safer than others as shown below.
#1 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) is one of the most common and are used for water, dressings, mouthwashes etc.
#2 High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) are clear plastics that can be used for juices, milk etc.
#4 Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) are most often found used for squeezable type bottles due to their soft consistency.
#5 Polypropylene (PP) containers are often butter, yogurt, syrup bottles etc. Many reusable containers are made from this type of plastic too.
Not Safe Plastics
#3 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) you might recognize because it is most commonly used in pipes in your home and some children’s toys. It contains DEHA which is a possible human carcinogen and can leach out of plastic. While plastic wraps you buy from the store do not generally use this material – some deli shops still do.
#6Â Polystyrene (PS) is often found in styrofoam type plastic containers that hold your coffee or leftovers. This plastic can leach styrene into your food.
#7Â Polycarbonate is basically a catch-all for other plastics that do not fit other materials. Typically they do have BPA’s so are best to be avoided.
Plastic Free Food Storage Options
So now that we understand why plastics for food storage may not be the best option, let’s take a loot at some great options for storing foods of all kinds.
Below are the options we found that are good for you – good for the environment and can go in the freezer or refrigerator!
No products found.
- THE BEST FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER SET YOU’LL EVER OWN. With 5 different & convenient sizes, we’ve got you covered for every type of lunch, dinner, leftover, picnic, meal prep, camping or road trip imaginable. And unlike cheap plastic-ware, these beautiful stainless containers actually nest inside of each other for EASY, SPACE-SAVING STORAGE. Perfect!
- TOP QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL. Made of world-famous 304 stainless steel, these containers are guaranteed to never, ever rust. In fact, we’re proud to say that this steel goes above and beyond the standard FDA requirements and is also 100% odor-free and virtually indestructible.
- 100% BPA-FREE & ECO-SAFE. We pledge to you that every part of this container set is 100% FREE of all chemical toxins, BPA, lead, leaching, PVCs, phthalates, synthetic xenoestrogens and endocrine disrupters. We don’t mess with that stuff, and neither should you!
- LEAKPROOF & DISHWASHER SAFE. We worked hard to make these containers 100% leakproof so that you can tote all your favorite foods anywhere, without the hassle and mess. Speaking of messes—these bad-boys are super-easy to clean with a soapy sponge if you want, but if you’re like us, you’ll just pop them in the dishwasher and pull them out sparkling clean afterwards!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. If you’re not 100% satisfied with this set when you receive it, simply send it back for a full refund, no questions asked!
After learning more about the better options I decided to change all of my plastic containers out to either glass or metal. So far I have tried the Klee containers above and love them!
Have you stopped using plastic to store food? Have any tips, tricks or suggestions to help others that are ready to make the move?
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API